eyeos, according to its website is a new kind of operating system. Well I have my doubt on that, one it rely on other OS for it to run, and require a webserver. Not a stand alone OS, but like an OS, it provides library to write application, a kernel to control the process. And like an OS it provides applications too. What really not like an OS really, it do not feature a development environment.
What interesting to me is, everything is written in php, does not require a database, and well some application have barely enough features. Also it is dead easy to install, as long you have php and a webserver it should work. But it have tendency refresh many time, have to check out th server.
I personally think that it have it uses, but really not much, probably as a frontend for web hosting? I thing lively from sun is more interesting. On the other hand, lively don’t work well on other browser yet.
Either how, it is interesting………
Been busy with assignment, and job interview, and some time to check application, and either here is a summary of what I have done.
Multi thread download on linux
one thing that windows have but linux doesn’t is a multithreaded downloader. But now they have
dfast like most open source project it also runs windows, and uses a frontend written in wxwindows in c++.
It is a bit crashy, on my ubuntu box, it does make download faster. You can get from getdeb.org too
Noticed that, really malaysian job really don’t use python, damn…………..
There mostly involve in java, and vb(yes, the abomination), at least I can do java, even though it is a bit hackish
And after 2 interviews, I realize a few thing,
1) my programming is getting rusty, really need to refresh it, begin to wonder how people respect my programming skill……..
2) I didn’t really learn enough, so I’m not into enterprise programming, until now, seriously java is not what you call a fun language to play, it is a language for job.
3) My sql is getting rusty(wait that is number one)
4) probably i spent too much time in server room or having fun, but that keep me motivated. That’s make me sane to be a programmer(i think)
5) My java is rusty(oh wait that’s number one too), i can hack stuff out in java, provided I have an IDE(aka netbeans or eclipse), and google
6) Really after a career talk from a big computer company, I really really cannot stand corporate culture, must be spending too much time reading dilbert or my nightmare from my industrial training, or watching too much pirates of silicon valley
Long time didn’t add stuff to blog. Basically, many thing happens.
1) Basically my gout is back,
2) I got involve with a job interview, which hopefully I will get through, it is not often to find interesting job in Malaysia.
3) And assignments.
4) On the positive side, other than job interview, I finally retired from the server project, and finally able concentrate on hobby and stuff.
After what happen, what I have done, well,
1) dabble with lisp, very interesting language, might dabble more after assignment
2) Put slax on my pendrive and external hard disk. Finally. Either way it is easy to install, on pendrive, except bios is a pain. But it is not ready for most people yet, but easy to customize is a big point.
What to look foward to,
1) Documenting my slax adventure, didn’t really start using it yet.
Maybe I try customize it. Or it will turn into one of my many unfinished project.
2) Actually finishing a project.
Got involve with a job interview, in a way, need to use windows, it is a job thingy description thingy. After using linux in a while, I do not take long to ask why windows not unix like. Scriptable using bash, It does not long either for me to try to look at cmd, only to be disappointed.
On the other hand, before I switched to linux 4 years back, I actually have a unix environment, using cygwin. Cygwin is setup a linux like environment for windows. And actually provide api, to emulate linux, provided you need to port it.
Either way it is linux like, almost, some of the command don’t work well, like ps -aux, or ps -A.
But it’s close enough, for some. But windows environment is still not linux like.
You can get it much.