BarcampKL 2010 just ended yesterday. It is a pretty awesome with many geeky talk, me as a geek, like it.
Yesterdays BarcampKL feature a few first in BarcampKL,
- we have the first podcast of This Week In Asia, and it is pretty awesome, it is something of a talk show with audience, now transmitted to cyberspace thanks to p1 wimax(aka the sponsor of BarcampKL)
- First time in barcampkl, we voted for talk. Where everywhere else, it is there already. And interestingly it serve as a check and balance of the talk. So we ends up with pretty interesting talk
- For the first time, I’ve seen Jedi vs Ninja…. What really happens is, KageSenshi was in the room where somebody brought a Light Saber, and kagesenshi teaching some sword fighting technique. and the other guys, practice their light saber skills. lolz
What is notable for barcampKL,
- Android hacks, member of Code Android malaysia, showing a android controlled robot, using a g1 and arduino. With python. No worry, the robot is benign, it still not a rival of the Governator.
- Time management by kaeru, i surprisingly learn alot
- Project Nimbus the Geeks On A Train in Singapore, they have manage to convence the government on singapore and some company to release data and using Open Data Protocol, they releases data to be used.
- Nginx talk is awesome too.
- Cookies and Cupcakes, that is real tasty!!!!
There is plenty to take away from barcampkl. Things to learn, things to do. So this year, it is awesome.
p.s Code Android Malaysia, thanks for make me doubt my decision of getting a n900(luckily didn’t buy yet)
Barcampkl is back to town, and this time it will be held in Segi Summit USJ on 24-25 April 2010.
Barcamp for a uninitiated is a ad-hoc conference, where people share topic of their interest. and due to the origins of barcamp, it tend to be geeky in nature.
This year barcamp will feature topic to be voted by the participant, and we have dedicated track for foss.my
and social media club KL aka smckl
BarcampKL is free to join, come join us on that day,
twitter hashtag #barcampkl
and register here
After slacking over the weekend. Here is a new post
This is what I learn during barcampkl, and have many part copied from barcampkl post mortem.
Barcampkl is in a way doing well. Of course it can be better. But this is not about blaming, nor it is just about barcamp. Here is a do and don’t for a project similar to barcamp, probably hackerspace and other events as well?
- Accommodate a variety of audience, it one spice things up, and it opens up ideas. During barcampkl we have a variety of topic, and I have learn a lot, because of all the topic is new to me. We also miss out the tech community. We need to balance the audience.
- Provide sufficient infrastructure, during barcampkl we have enough room, which is a good thing, we have more input, and a place to hang out. We also have lousy internet connection, so hackathon didn’t goes as plan. Also loud speaker.
- Give(take) roles and responsibility, even in a loosely structured hierachy like in barcampkl, we need to have one person to take responsibility. For example on the web contents, etc.
- Accountable, the big idea is, we need to know what goes on. Have a accounts that is viewable. It is also fair to people that contribute
- Keep a inventory, we have our own stuff, during barcamp, we bring own stuff, and also stuff that is sponsored. As In 4 we need to be accountable
- Have backup plan, during barcamp we are lacking in vga cables. It is better to be safe than sorry.
- Give credit to where the credit is due, in the case of barcamp, give credit to sponsor. Of course other contributor
- Communicate a lot among members, we need to know what happens.
- Have a roaster.
- SHARE!!!! We have a slides on slideshare for barcampkl
- Commercialize an events, people is at events like this to learn. So marketing talk is bad.
- Make own decision, have a concensus. Don’t change anything such as schedules. Most of the time anyway.
- Make some people do work, till it misses some session they want to join.
BarcampKL finished yesterday.
The good thing is, the topic is more general. There is not much of a bad thing, except WHERE IS WEREWOLF? Just kidding there.
There is fewer tech talk, as in hard core tech talk, this time, but now there is more general talk that would appeal to more general audience. Suddenly barcamp missing all the geekiness, it is both a good thing and a bad thing.
Pecha Kucha is not there. But there is lightning talk.
The talk is good, mostly. And I should try not running around too much.
By the way, good job to everyone……
BarcampKL is tomorrow,
with a great session lining up
And it is all happening tomorrow.
BarcampKL will be in 4th of April. Help us spread the message
Barcampkl will be held 4th April, in Inti College in Subang Jaya.
Barcamp is a event where everybody share, and learn. It is an unconference, where, everything is adhoc. The participant, tends to be tech people, and entrepreneur, but previously in Barcamp JB, we have a number of non-tech and non entrepreneur topic, it is also not commercial.
What make barcamp different is, it is organize by volunteer, and topic is from volunteer. It is free. And everyone is a participant. This is not just a (un)conference, it is also a place to network with people. And you shall see, why we are all a fun loving people.
So if you want to learn, or have knowledge to share, come and enlighten us.